Friday, October 31, 2008

If I Had a Brain, Would I Let Flaming Lips Touch It?

What a day!I've been trying to keep this "blog" as a writing journal, but today's overall experiences demand I go beyond those boundaries. Today was a hard day at work, bust it late to get things done before deadline, but during lunch, my adventure made work more..., insufferable.

I had to go to Epperson Photo to drop off my first roll of 120 film and a spent roll of 35mm (and I needed a roll salvaged, too). On my way there, I thought I would swing by Wayne Coyne's house, and maybe take a pic for posterity (he and his wife live only about a mile from work). The road I was going to take was getting re-laid with asphalt, so I had to take a longer route. When I turned on the road that runs directly [damn spell check not catching that! 'Irectly' is a word?] in front of the house, I noticed many trucks around, and a slightly differently facade to the house. I must say, it's looking good. So, I drove around the block to check out the back of the house, because I read that he had bought the houses around him as a buffer (http://tiny.cc/nyPRt). Lo and behold, in the back lot, was a tent! It looked like the circus was coming to town!!

Well, everything went well at Epperson's, so it was back to work (but you know, I didn't get a pic of Wayne's house, but I did get some shots of a church with the Holga). Work was boring after that, yet stressful.

After work, I thought it would be a great time to go back to the tent and check it out
—a Coyne production, is a big production! Not surprisingly, Wayne was outside the tent painting a sign on a white bedsheet, using (possibly) Tempera paints in the worst colors that could be chosen by a fifteen year old for their MySpace. But it works here!

There were two signs, and from what I remember there were things about "500 pound brain", and "Ask it anything!" And it was there, inside the tent, resting on a large table; pink, and wrinkled. There was a woman and her son/grandson, both fascinated and confused at the same time, milling about the crushing blob, asking questions about the whole affair. Lights and electronics and smoke added to the mystery. Not to mention a bunny outfit..., or a squirrel with a bob tail, not sure, rounded the whole thing out. There were goodies, and no fee, and as Wayne confessed, loud music to come later. I could go on, but suffice it to say, I didn't get a chance to return when the festivities really took off. Bummer.

The brain was the thing. And it makes my thoughts want to jump ship.

No comments: